INDIANAPOLIS – Although there’s no plan at this time for IndyCar to return to a track once a staple of the sport, the Milwaukee Mile remains very much on the radar, the head of the company that owns the series said Friday at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
Mark Miles, president and chief executive officer of Penske Entertainment Corp., said there have been “ongoing discussions” about the possibility, reiterating what he has said previously.
The century-old oval at State Fair Park hosted 114 Indy-style championship races sanctioned by AAA, USAC, CART, Champ Car and IndyCar, many of them following Indy by a week.
Over the last few decades, various promoters tried and were unable to run a profitable IndyCar event. The track has not had one in eight years.